Wednesday, October 29, 2008

School Board Forum


Monday, October 27th 2008: Olin 102. For the second week in a row, we were presented with a panel of persons from the Decorah School System. This week it was school board members. They came from many walks of life and backgrounds.

I was first taken aback by how little power they actually had. I will give the example of the budget. It is common for everyone to think that the school board has ultimate control over where the funding goes and how it is distributed. The panel dispelled this rumor. They said that federal money comes into the district with a predetermined purpose and destination. Some funding may come in and it can only be used for hiring new teachers, or only for the music program. If there is a surplus in one area, it can not be put to use somewhere else. They find this very frustrating.

I feel this kind of dialogue between school board members and teachers is very important. It facilitates the understanding of each group, so that no one is unaware of the needs and necessary procedures of the schools and their operation. I encourage everyone to become familiar with the way their district works, and the people in charge.

Miss Gabbert

No comments: